Thursday, April 24, 2008

The Young People's Orientation

We had a full room, which was SWEET! Annie opened us in prayer and we did brief introductions. I was able to find out what young people were on my committee; Matt Laferty is sitting close to me, so I’ll chat with him when the orientation is ended. Lane from the Commission on General Conference spoke with us about the basics of General Conference and what changes will be in effect this year. She spoke about leadership in the Legislative Committees and legislation basics.
Julie brought up General Boards and Agencies staffers. Kim from COSROW, Kendra Dunbar with GBGM, Rachel Harvey with Advance of GBGM, and reps of GCORR, GBHECM, and GBCS came to talk to us. Spoke very briefly with Matt at this time, getting permission to plug him for Chair.
Ooh! One of the guys just gave me electronic versions of the DCAs (the huge books with all of our legislation). This makes me happy! I can stop carrying around the books, so there!
The Young People’s Address team was presented; we spoke a bit about our team and then everyone gathered around us and prayed for us.
We heard a bit about the hospitality room…there are claims of free wireless internet, so I will definitely have to check that out. Next Tuesday is the Texas free youth event (dinner and music). And then lucky Hank got to talk about emergencies…safe sanctuaries and all of that joy. It was fantastic. I suggested that he read the Safe Sanctuaries guidelines word-for-word, but he doesn’t seem to be going for it. Oh well. He’s doing a fine job anyways.
Met briefly with the other folks in the Conferences committee; asked them to support me and Matt in our “quests” for chair and secretary. I asked if anyone else was interested in running, but no one was.
We met with a reporter and did another interview that will be printed in the DCA about the YPA and took a picture. We have an hour and twenty minutes before opening worship; I think we’re using that time to rehearse.

No comments: