Friday, April 25, 2008

Friday Morning

It’s nearly 8; I’m on the bus on the way to worship. Getting up was not easy this morning. I came downstairs just as another bus was leaving, so I guess God wanted me to have a leisurely breakfast. Traffic is worse this morning than it was yesterday on the bus, but it’s also later in the day (if only by half an hour).

More Details about Yesterday: I am probably repeating some of this. But I wrote the initial post about yesterday at 1 am and have no idea of what I said. So hopefully this one will be more intelligible and have more details.
The YPA really was wonderful from our end. A few of us had jittery nerves, but we were all enjoying ourselves for the most part. After our press conference we walked to The Pour House for burgers, etc. for our “Last Supper.” It took us forever to get there, as people kept stopping to talk with us and take pictures. Jason particularly enjoyed the youth group composed of several young ladies who starting screaming when they saw us. As Jason said, “I always wanted to walk through a group of screaming girls.” He got his wish!
We then broke into sub-committees. I nominated Matt for chair, a few other names were lifted. Each nominee was allowed to give a two-minute speech about his/herself. Matt was very articulate speaking about helping to ensure every voice is heard. His biggest competition was J LaVon Wilson, a retied African American schoolteacher who has previously chaired. She was then elected vice chair. After my election as secretary, we were in recess for dinner while the three executives went to training. Training started late and went late, so the executives didn’t get a chance to talk with each other about sub-committee organization, and the full group meeting started late. Our organization into sub-committees was a little more messy than I would have liked, but we successfully split up the petitions and elected chairpersons and found secretaries. The group went into recess around 10:40; the chairs and secretaries were asked to stay behind for a brief training. Secretaries were taken care of fairly quickly; the chairs spent a bit more time talking about possible approaches to their legislation.
I eventually got home and spent some time sorting emails and petitions. It was a wonderful day, if exhausting.

No comments: