Monday, April 28, 2008

Good Morning!

7:30 am and all is well. I am feeling good, I got a little more prep work done on the legislative reports this morning on the bus. Breakfast was very good...I have found the hotel's pancake supply, and they are very good pancakes. Add the fresh pineapple to that, and I am one happy little girl. I am at the Convention Center now waiting for an 8 o'clock meeting with my recorder, Jill, so we can finish up all of our paperwork. I know I've mentioned the recorders in passing, but a brief explanatory note: I am the secretary of my legislative committee. I take notes on who talks when about what, how the vote goes, etc. I have to fill out a report with how the petition was amended and how the vote went in order for the information to be available to the full Conference. This report is typed up and entered into a computer program by my recording staff. The recording staff will give me a printed report that all three of the executives (secretary, chair, and vice chair) have to sign after checking accuracy. Other staff members and volunteers can then take the information from the computer and put it into a report that goes out to all delegates, detailing all the legislation that has been dealt with in committees since the previous day's report. And then we get to vote on them in the big group.
The moral of the "story" is this: Yay computers, yay technology, yay volunteers.

No comments: