Sunday, April 27, 2008

Evening Committee

It was decided that tonight would be the night to stay late and pay overtime for the facilities; however, our committee chose to end at 10:50 pm and take a shorter lunch tomorrow. We get a fair bit of work done today, though most of it was simple petitions straight up or down. We began working on the Connectional Table legislation and managed to reject all of the Frank Wulf petitions. We then turned to the Scott Jones, but there was a lot of conversation around exactly what changes would be enacted by the petitions. We passed the first, then chose to table the rest until tomorrow so that we could continue working tomorrow when it wasn’t so late. We have a total of 87 petitions left. We will have a consent calendar for petitions to be rejected that were unanimous. That will knock out about twenty petitions I think; I won’t be sure of the number until I get to the hotel and do the write-ups. Nothing too extreme was passed today, mostly just non-controversial things that make sense. I believe all of them will go on the plenary consent calendar.
The petitions that came out of the Global Young People’s Convocation and Legislative Assembly went through sub-committee today. Tonight I will be able to look at what action was taken by the sub-committee and see if I would like to speak or make amendments when they come to the full committee tomorrow. The General Conference sub-committee worked on those, and I don’t believe there were any young people in that group to help with explanations. The petitions in question deal with the age of youth and young adults and the Youth Service Fund chairpersons as a member to Annual Conference. I will be sure to report on those tomorrow. We will be meeting tomorrow 1-4. Hopefully we’ll be all done at that point; if not, we’ll have to start skipping out on more meals, coming in early, ditching worship, etc. I don’t particularly relish any of those, so I hope that we manage to finish.

No comments: