Thursday, May 1, 2008

We SHALL Overcome

I'm depressed. As you know. I'm also hungry. I'm tired. My eyes hurt 'cause I've been crying way too much. If you hadn't gotten the message yet, I'm really sad...

But please don't feel too disheartened, dearly beloved. A few songs that are going through my head:

"There is Hope" by GLAD. Lyrics aren't available online; I'm too tired to type them in. Maybe tomorrow. In the meantime, another song by GLAD, equally good:

“May We Be One”
by GLAD on The Symphony Project

Sometimes while on the journey
We can lose sight of our goal
And suddenly petty disagreements rule our soul

How it must hurt the Father
To see us so spiteful and small
Oh how we need
The patience to see
That Jesus has love for us all

Refrain
May we be one
Let no more walls divide us
May we be one
Let the cross of Christ unite us
So the world can know the Father has sent his only Son
May we be one
May we be one

So many truths to fight for
And sometimes we never agree
But there are so few that matter for eternity

Jesus has died to save us
He’s risen and coming again
And when he returns we’ll all be made perfect
So let this be our aim until then

Refrain

You can draw a line
That your faith sets us apart
Maybe music or the way that you dress

But if you take the time to hear the Father’s heart
Well I know that you’ll see you’re no different from me
‘Cause everyone of us needs his forgiveness

Refrain (twice)


Today was beautiful, by the way. A long Judicial Council was read after the vote during announcements. Many people stood up and we all began to sing "Jesus Loves Me," eventually switiching into "Jesus Loves Us." At the end of the dinner break, lines of people dressed in black formed tunnels at the main doors of the Convention Center. They were nonviolent, but were obvious and powerful. This reminds me more and more of the Black Civil Rights Movement...

And just like it was for the blacks and racial minorities, my brothers and sisters, I must sing:

We shall overcome
We shall overcome
We shall overcome some day

Oh, deep in my heart
I do believe
We shall overcome some day

No comments: